4 October 2006
South Africa is the best holiday destination in Africa – it’s official. The country’s airline, hotels, resorts, safaris and more walked off with 13 of the 16 prize categories for the continent in the 2006 World Travel Awards, widely considered to be the “Oscars” of the international travel industry.
And the Saxon Hotel in Johannesburg, and Shamwari and Bushman Sands game reserves in the Eastern Cape, were voted the best in the world in their categories.
To determine the awards, some 165 000 travel agencies and professionals in over 140 countries vote over the internet for their leading travel destinations, airlines, hotels, personalities and companies around the world.
For the third year in a row the Saxon was voted the world’s leading boutique hotel, beating the likes of Le Soleil Hotel and Suites in Vancouver, the Sunset Marquis Hotel and Villas in California, Australia’s Royce Hotel, the Metropolitan of London and the Delano in Miami.
Shamwari Game Reserve came out tops in the awards for a stunning ninth consecutive year, winning two global awards: the world’s leading conservation company and the world’s leading safari and game reserve. The reserve was also voted Africa’s leading safari.
The world’s leading sustainable tourism project vote went to Bushman Sands in the Eastern Cape.
Best in Africa
In the Africa section, South African Airways was voted the best in three categories. SA’s other African winners included the Mount Nelson Hotel, the Pezula Resort Hotel and Spa and Rovos Rail.
The full list of World Travel Awards for Africa winners:
- Airlines: South African Airways
- First class airlines: South African Airways
- Business class airlines: South African Airways
- Airports: Cape Town International
- Car hire: Europcar
- Casino resorts: D’oreale Grande at Emperors Palace, South Africa
- Conference centres: International Convention Centre Durban
- Conference hotels: Sun City Resort, South Africa
- Destinations: Cape Town
- Golf resorts: The Palmeraie Golf Palace, Morocco
- Hotels: Mount Nelson Hotel, South Africa
- Hotel brands: Protea Hotels, South Africa
- Safaris: Shamwari Game Reserve, South Africa
- Safari trains: Rovos Rail, South Africa
- Spa resorts: Pezula Resort Hotel & Spa, SA
- Tourist & convention bureaux: Egyptian State Tourist Office
Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material