South Africa performed strongly in the 2007 World’s Best Awards survey by international travel magazine Travel + Leisure, with nine establishments listed among the world’s top 100 hotels and Cape Town voted 10th best holiday city in the world.
The Singita Sabi Sand (formerly the Singita Private Game Reserve), located within the Kruger National Park, was South Africa’s highest ranked hotel, scooping awards for the second best hotel overall in the world, second best small hotel in the world and the best hotel in Africa and the Middle East.
The Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve was ranked as the seventh best hotel worldwide, second best in Africa and the Middle East, and the sixth best small hotel in the world.
Ranked 20th overall is the Cape Grace in Cape Town, which also secured fifth best hotel in Africa and the Middle East. The Cape Grace was also voted as having the ninth best spa in the Asia-Pacific, Africa and Middle East region, and added to a select list of the best business hotels in Africa and the Middle East.
Other South African hotels rated among the world’s 100 best hotels include:
- The Mala Mala Game Reserve located in Sabi Sands – 21st best hotel overall, 14th best overall small hotel and sixth best in Africa and the Middle East.
- The Londolozi Private Game Reserve also located in the Sabi Sands – 39th best overall and 11th best in Africa and the Middle East.
- The Table Bay Hotel in Cape Town – ranked 61st best in the world and 17th best in Africa and the Middle East.
- Le Quartier Français in Franschhoek – 65th overall and 18th best in Africa and the Middle East.
- The Westcliff in Johannesburg – ranked 75th best hotel overall, 19th best in Africa and the Middle East and selected for a list of best business hotels in Africa and the Middle East.
- The Mount Nelson Hotel in Cape Town – voted 99th best hotel worldwide and 20th best in Africa and the Middle East.
Three South African companies made an appearance in the list for top 10 tour operators and safari outfitters in the world, with Micato Safaris retaining its first place ranking from 2006, Wilderness Safaris in fourth and Big Five Tours & Expeditions in ninth spot.
Meanwhile, the picturesque city of Cape Town was voted as the tenth best city in the world and the best city in Africa and the Middle East.
The World’s Best Awards survey, now in its 12th year, recognises the favourite hotels, cities, islands, tour operators, airlines, cruise lines and car rental agencies of the readers of the world’s largest circulation travel magazine.
The poll results for the best city, hotel, island, airline, cruise line and tour operators and safari outfitters appeared in the August issue of Leisure + Travel, wile the list of best spas appeared in the October issue.
Article last updated: December 2007
Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material