Directory of Eskom call centres, plus contacts for the National Electricity Regulator.
Registering on Eskom’s website will allow you to query your account, view your consumption, submit your meter readings or log a fault. The customer centre accepts phone calls, SMS, email and website queries. See the website for contact details.
- Website: www.eskom.co.za
- Sharecall number: 08600 ESKOM (08600 37566)
- Fax number: 086 243 7566
- Customer Services Email: CustomerServices@eskom.co.za
- National SMS Number: 35328
National Energy Regulator
With any electricity-related complaint, your first port of call should be to the supplier, which is either Eskom or your municipality (see below). If you receive no satisfaction or are unhappy with how your complaint was dealt with, you can approach the regulator.
Nersa, a statutory body, is legally mandated to resolve disputes between suppliers and customers and between suppliers themselves. It handles complaints regarding the quality of supply or service, billing, metering and tariffs.
- Website: www.nersa.org.za
In South Africa, most electricity is supplied by either Eskom or via distributors (usually municipalities). Check your electricity account to see who your supplier is. If it is not Eskom, you need to contact the distributor directly if you have a problem with your account or electricity supply.
- Buffalo City Municipality (East London, King William’s Town, Bisho): www.buffalocity.gov.za
- City of Cape Town: www.capetown.gov.za
- City of Johannesburg: www.joburg.org.za
- City Power Johannesburg: www.citypower.co.za
- eThekwini Municipality: www.durban.gov.za
- Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality (Alberton, Eastern Gauteng and Springs): www.ekurhuleni.gov.za
- Manguang Metropolitan Municipality (Bloemfontein, Botshabelo, Southern Free State): www.manguang.co.za
- Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (Port Elizabeth, New Brighton, Motherwell): www.mandelametro.gov.za
- Polokwane Municipality: www.polokwane.org.za
- Msunduzi Municipality (Pietersmaritzburg): www.msunduzi.gov.za
- City of Tshwane: www.tshwane.gov.za
Electrical Conformance Board
Electrical contractors are legally obliged to register annually with the board, an agency of the Department of Labour. You can search the website for contractors.
- Website: www.ecbsa.co.za
Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material