Johannesburg, 27 November 2013 – Brand South Africa will host a series of engagements with key stakeholders in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) from 4-5 December 2013 aimed at profiling South Africa’s value proposition for the UAE in particular and the Gulf region in general.
These engagements are in line with Brand South Africa’s proactive promotion of South Africa as a globally competitive business destination.
As such the South African delegation, which will be led by Minister Collins Chabane, will interact with Emirati business representatives, representatives of multinationals operating in the UAE and global South Africans based in the country.
Brand South Africa will leverage of these engagements to highlight South Africa value proposition as a business destination to UAE businesses. This proposition will focus on South Africa as an investment destination on the one hand, and as a reliable partner in supporting the UAE’s developmental aspirations.
South Africans have contributed to the development of the United Arab Emirates in, amongst others, the construction, health and financial industries. The Burj Al Arab which has become an iconic landmark in the country was constructed by Murray & Roberts a major South Africa construction company.
Bilateral Economic Relations between South Africa and the UAE
- The total bilateral trade between South Africa and the UAE is valued at approximately $3 billion (Dh11 billion)
- The UAE is the 24th largest investor in South Africa and is its largest trading partner in the Gulf Co-operation Council region. The UAE is also the 21st largest export market to South Africa.
- There is a growing community of South African nationals in the UAE, stimulated, in part, by a growing demand for South African skills. The major areas for employment of South Africans in the UAE include construction, hospitality, financial, medical, retail management and education.
- South African restaurant groups are also expanding into the UAE market: Nando’s, Butcher Shop, Meat & Co, Mug & Bean and Debonairs Pizza
Trade and Investment Highlights:
- More than 135 South African companies have a presence in the UAE.
- Trade between the UAE and South Africa jumped 21.7% exceeding $1 billion in (2010).
- The volume of non-oil exports from Dubai to South Africa has jumped from Dh1.26 billion in 2009 to Dh2.41 billion in 2010, according to the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- Dubai imports from South Africa show growth from Dh3.011 billion to Dh3.055 billion in 2010.
- According to the Dubai Chamber mineral fuels, mineral oils, bituminous substances and mineral water are the top exports accounting for 48.1% of trade volumes.
- Other major Dubai export/ re-export products to South Africa include electrical machinery, equipment and parts consisting of 18% of the country’s foreign trade in 2010.
|South Africa’s Business Value Proposition to the UAE & the World|
|Wednesday 4 December 2013Roundtable on Infrastructure|
|10h00||Opening||Mr Miller MatolaCEOBrand South Africa|
|10h15||Welcome address||Ambassador LekgoroSouth African Ambassador to the UAE|
|10h25||Introduction of Minister Collins Chabane||Ms Chichi MaponyaChairpersonBrand South Africa|
|10h30||South Africa’s developmental indicators as a driver of competitiveness||Minister Collins ChabaneDepartment of Performance Monitoring and EvaluationThe Presidency|
|11h00||Enhancing South Africa’s competitiveness through improving efficiencies in rail operations||Mr Siyabonga GamaCEOTransnet Rail|
|11h30||Kwa-Zulu Natal Investment Proposition||Mr Neville MatjieGeneral Manager: CEO’s OfficeTrade and Investment, KZN|
|13h00||Lunch and networkingMedia networking||Holding room|
|Thursday 5 December 2013|
|09h00-16h00||Networking platform with Global South African’s||Ambassador Lekgoro|
About Brand South Africa
Brand South Africa is the official marketing agency of South Africa, with a mandate to build the country’s brand reputation, in order to improve its global competitiveness abroad. Its aim is also to build pride and patriotism among South Africans, in order to contribute to social cohesion and nation brand ambassadorship.
Further resources from Brand South Africa
Media are invited to visit http://www.southafrica.info/ for further resources which can be reproduced without any copyright infringement. Kindly attribute to Brand South Africa.
Follow Brand South Africa
Tell us how you Play Your Part
For more information or to set up interviews, please contact: