Applications are now being accepted for the 2009 Tierney Fellowship at the Market Photo Workshop. The fellowship aims to provide the successful applicant with the financial support necessary to research and produce a body of photographic work, in consultation with a mentor, over the period of a year.
The Tierney Fellowship was created in 2003 by The Tierney Family Foundation to support emerging artists in the field of photography.
There will be a voluntary briefing session at the Market Photo Workshop on Thursday, 7 May 2009 at 2pm. This briefing session will introduce the Tierney Fellowship, and the application process, to potential applicants.
The deadline for applications is 12pm on Thursday 28 May 2009.
- Either current or past students of the Market Photo Workshop
- Available to produce the work within the Southern African region
- Not have produced a solo exhibition before
- Able to demonstrate an intermediate to advanced knowledge of the technical processes of photography
Applicants must submit the following:
- 12 to 20 images (300dpi in jpeg format. Maximum 700 pixels in height and 1000 pixels in width)
- An artist statement
- A brief biography and CV
- A project proposal
Tracey Edser, a graduate of the Market Photo Workshop’s Photojournalism and Documentary Photography Programme, was chosen as the Tierney Fellow for 2008.
Tracey’s work looks into the lives of recovering addicts and people suffering from various mental illnesses. She believes in breaking the secrecy surrounding these illnesses, through a depiction which is both honest and “inside”.
Tracey believes that mental illness and addiction have their own heroes which have so far gone unrecorded and uncelebrated.
The exhibition opens in Cape Town at the Michaelis Gallery on 13 May 2009, and will then travel to The Photo Workshop Gallery in Johannesburg to open on 20 May 2009.
- For more information about The Tierney Fellowship contact Lester Adams on +27 (0)11 834 1444 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more information about the Tierney Fellowship go to www.tierneyfellowship.org.
- For more information about the Market Photo Workshop go to www.marketphotoworkshop.co.za.