Recycling helps reduce energy used during manufacturing, freeing it up to be used for other purposes such as lighting and heating.
- Recycling 1 ton of paper saves 17 mature trees, 26.498 litres of water, 2.3m3 of landfill space, 238.48 litres of oil, and 4000 kilowatt hours of electricity.
- Recycling one aluminium can saves enough energy to run a 100-watt light bulb for 20 hours, a computer for 3 hours, and a TV for 2 hours.
- Recycling 1 ton of mixed paper saves the energy equivalent of 185 gallons of oil.
- The energy saved by recycling one glass bottle can light a 100-watt light bulb for 4 hours or run a computer for 30 minutes.
- Recycling 1 million laptops saves enough energy to power over 3000 homes in a year.
- Recycling 1 million cell phones allows £35.274 of copper, £772 of silver, £75 of gold, and £33 of palladium to be recovered.