Youth development through sport
In an attempt to include rural and vulnerable youths, I set out to nurture sustainable skateboarding environments in the most unlikely places. Indigo Skate Camp was the founding pilot project in a Zulu village in the Valley of 1 000 Hills.
Skateboarding is fast becoming an attractive activity amongst youths throughout South Africa as it’s an expression of freedom without limits and boundaries.
In an attempt to include rural and vulnerable youths, I set out to nurture sustainable skateboarding environments in the most unlikely places. Indigo Skate Camp was the founding pilot project in a Zulu village in the Valley of 1 000 Hills. This rural facility grew from 2001 with contributions from more fortunate urban participants who attended youth camps at the facility.
Today Indigo Skate Camp hosts a tourism ambassador programme employing 35 youths in the surrounding village. As the participation in skateboarding grew, we developed training manuals incorporating life skills. Standout skateboarders from Indigo Skate Camp then become instructors who went on to take our programmes to neighbouring villages and then provinces.
This is how Indigo Youth Movement includes and continues to guide more youths into the world of skateboarding. Tony Hawk; “Indigo is proof that skateboarding can change the world.”
Indigo creates sustainable skateboarding environments by:
– Providing platforms for youths from diverse backgrounds to meet on equal footing
– Utilizing skateboarding as a vehicle for education specifically spoken English amongst rural participants
– Addressing areas of danger to vulnerable youths from sexual abuse, drug prevention to anti gangsterism
– Recognizing and developing skills amongst our participants, from woodwork to event management to hospitality
– Creating a sense of belonging through networks of skateboarders.
– Allowing youths the ability to believe in their infinite potential and providing avenues for these youths to explore their chosen path.
– Developing a sense of pride and ownership in shared facilities.
– Creating and advocating for employment within the skateboarding industry.
First name: Dallas
Last name: Oberholzer
Email address: email@example.com