8 July 2013
The Proteas’ 2013/14 home schedule, released by Cricket South Africa on Monday, includes highly anticipated test series against India and Australia, backed up by seven one-day and five T20 international matches.
The Proteas, ranked number one in the world test ranking, will play three tests against both countries. India occupies second place in the ICC test rankings, while Australia is in fourth.
The Indians last toured South Africa in 2006/07 and convincingly won the first test by 123 runs in Johannesburg, after dismissing the Proteas for only 84 in their first innings. South Africa, though, fought back to win the second test by 174 runs and clinched a 2-1 series win with a five-wicket victory in the third and deciding test.
Australia last visit to South Africa was in the 2011/12 season, when they played only two tests. The Proteas scored a resounding eight-wicket victory in the first test, despite making only 96 in their first innings, after debutant Vernon Philander knocked over 5 for 15 in the Australians’ second innings of just 47 all out.
Australia, however, shared the series’ spoils after a tense two-wicket win at The Wanderers in the second test.
There will be seven one-day internationals played against India, which recently won the ICC Champions Trophy, and is ranked number one in the 50-overs format. South Africa is ranked fourth.
Five T20 internationals are on the cards for the sixth-ranked Proteas, two of them against the world number three Indians and three against Australia, who are ranked one place below South Africa.
India’s tour kicks off on 18 November with a match against a South African Invitation XI in Potchefstoom. It runs through until the third test match, which will be played in Johannesburg from 15 to 19 January.
Australia’s tour starts shortly after that on 5 February in the same manner as India’s tour, with a game against a South African Invitation XI at Senwes Park. It ends on 14 March with a T20 international at Centurion.
Commenting on the schedule, CSA Acting CEO Naasei Appiah said on the CSA website: “It promises to be a wonderful summer of hotly contested international cricket.
“India are the current undisputed champions of 50 overs cricket and it was not that long ago that they briefly held the number one ranking in test cricket as well.
“The Indian players have always been very popular in South Africa and their maestro, Sachin Tendulkar, has currently played a world record 198 test matches. It would be wonderful for his 200th test match to be in front of a packed New Year’s crowd at Sahara Park Newlands.
“The last time he played a test match there, his battle with Dale Steyn thrilled a global audience.”
Looking at the series against Australia, Appiah said: “Any series between Australia and South Africa in any sporting code always promises a spectacle of note and a contest worthy of some of sport’s most famous moments. Australia will be battle-hardened after successive home and away Ashes series against England.
“The three KFC T20 International matches at the end of the tour will provide perfect preparation for both sides for next year’s ICC World Twenty20.”
Details of the ticket sales have not yet been announced.
- 18 Nov: T20: India v SA Invitation XI, Potchefstroom
- 21 Nov: 1st T20 International, Johannesburg (Day/Night)
- 24 Nov: 2nd T20 International, Cape Town (Day)
- 27 Nov: 1st ODI, Durban (Day/Night)
- 30 Nov: 2nd ODI, Port Elizabeth (Day)
- 3 Dec: 3rd ODI, East London (Day/Night)
- 6 Dec: 4th ODI, Centurion (Day/Night)
- 8 Dec: 5th ODI, Johannesburg (Day)
- 12 Dec: 6th ODI, Bloemfontein (Day/Night)
- 15 Dec: 7th ODI, Cape Town (Day)
- 18-19 Dec: India v SA Invitation XI, Paarl
- 22-23 Dec: India v SA Invitation XI, Pietermaritzburg
- 26-30 Dec: 1st test, Durban
- 2-6 Jan: 2nd test, Cape Town
- 15-19 Jan: 3rd test, Johannesburg
- 5-8 Feb: Australia v SA Invitation XI, Potchefstroom
- 12-16 Feb: 1st test, Centurion
- 20-24 Feb: 2nd test match, Port Elizabeth
- 1-5 Mar: 3rd test match, Cape Town
- 9 Mar: 1st T20 International, Port Elizabeth (Day)
- 12 Mar: 2nd T20 International, Durban (Day/Night)
- 14 Mar: 3rd KFC T20 International, Centurion (Day/Night)