Social media was buzzing this week with well wishes pouring in for the 2016 South African Cricketer of the Year, Kagiso Rabada. The 21-year-old fast bowler is the first player to win six individual trophies at the annual Cricket South Africa (CSA) awards.
Proteas captain AB de Villiers and batsman Hashim Amla had previously won five awards each, the CSA said. Rabada is also the youngest to have won the premier award.
Some of the high fives given to Rabada on Twitter:
— Cricket South Africa (@OfficialCSA) July 26, 2016
— Themba Mathebula (@Ithembalami) July 27, 2016
— Craignificent (@Craig_05) July 26, 2016
— Media Link (@veralink) July 26, 2016
Watch some of Rabada’s career highlights:
The other trophies
Rabada also landed Castle Lager Test Cricketer of the Year, Castle Lager ODI Cricketer of the Year, the peer voted SA Players’ Player of the Year and the SA Fans Player of the Year. His sixth award was for bowling the RAM Delivery of the Year to England’s Jason Roy in the KFC T20 International at the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg.
“I’m excited to see what challenges lie ahead. I can’t wait to play again,” Rabada told Jacaranda FM on Tuesday, admitting it felt surreal to win so many awards.
Watch Rabada talk about his amazing night. He also pays tribute to his family:
CSA is celebrating its 25th birthday this year. Other cricketers who have won the prestigious Cricketer of the Year award include:
- Jacques Kallis (2004 and 2011)
- Makhaya Ntini (2005 and 2006)
- Hashim Amla (2010 and 2013)
- AB de Villiers (2014 and 2015)
- Shaun Pollock (2007)
- Dale Steyn (2008)
- Graeme Smith (2009)
- Vernon Philander (2012)
Watch Rabada talk about his dreams:
Other winners on the night this year were:
- Imran Tahir – Oxigen T20 International Player of the Year
- Temba Bavuma – KFC So Good
- Stephen Cook – International Newcomer of the Year
- Dané van Niekerk – Momentum Women’s Cricketer of the Year
- Lungi Ngidi – Africa T20 Cup Player of the Tournament
- Alviro Petersen – Momentum One-Day Cup Player of the Year
- Nicky van den Bergh – Domestic Newcomer of the Year
- Dwaine Pretorius – SACA Most Valuable Player
- Heino Kuhn – Sunfoil Series Cricketer of the Year and Domestic Players’ Player of the Year
- Rob Walter – Pitchvision Coach of the Year
- Albie Morkel – RAM Slammer of the Year
Source: Cricket South Africa, Facebook
Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website?