15 September 2015
The winners list at the Mbokodo Awards reads like the ultimate who’s who of creative South African women.
“The awards are a huge applause for women. It celebrates the incredible things they do to advance our heritage,” said executive producer Carol Bouwer on SABC news.
The awards, which were handed out on 11 September, are held to “celebrate and acknowledge women who have not only articulated the aspirations of the South African people but have also fortified their democracy by empowering communities and individuals through their art”, reads the official awards website.
Through your work as artists we must celebrate”HER stories” not just”HIStory” -Susan Shabangu,Min Of Women in the Presidency#Mbokodoawards
— BUSISWA (@BusiswaNgoku)September 11, 2015
The 20 awards categories, falling under the arts, culture, and heritage umbrella, are judged through a peer review mechanism.
The winners in each category were:
- Women in Indigenous Arts: Helen Sebidi
- Promotion of Language and Story Telling: Nise Malange
- Creative Writing: Lauren Beukes
- Poetry: Mbali Vilakazi
- Creative Photography: Lindeka Qampi
- Visual Arts: Berni Searle
- Architecture: Nadia Tromp
- Creative Design: Thandiwe Tshabalala
- Fashion Design and Innovation: Hangwani Nengovhela
- Dance: Dada Masilo
- Opera: Goitsemang Lehobye
- Theatre: Maralin Vanrenen
- Comedy: Irit Noble
- Women in Film: Ryley Grunenwald
- Women in Jazz: Thandi Ntuli
- Music: Zolani Mahola
- Promotion of Arts in the Media: Brenda Sisane
- Arts Ambassador: Yvonne Chaka Chaka
- Arts Ambassador: Marianne Fassler
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Thandi Klaasen and Dr Thembeka Nkamba van Wyk
— Mash (@MashuduMag)September 11, 2015