Missing your potjiekos? Forgotten the recipe for bobotie? Want to know where you can buy real South African biltong – or make your own? We’ve put together a directory of links to help you recapture the taste of home. Also check out:
- – Some links to help you buy South African in the UK.
- – The website serving your area may run its own “corner cafe”, while many larger sites for South Africans abroad have their own online stores.
- Biltongmakers.com – biltong, droe wors and other goodies from SA.
- Cybercellar – buy SA wine online.
- Expat Shop – buy a wide variety of South African goods online.
- I Love South Africa – I Love SA t-shirts, posters, badges, bumper stickers and more.
- NetFlorist – send flowers or gifts from SA to anywhere in the world.
- The Saffa Shop is the online shop for Limpopo Butchers in Acton, London.
- South African Food Shop is based in the UK, but also provides South African food and drink throughout the rest of the world.
- South African WineSeller – buy SA wine for delivery to your door worldwide.
- Southern Hemisphere Wine Centre
- WINEmag.co.za – buy SA wine online.
- 800Biltong supplies biltong and boerewors throughout the USA.
- AA Biltong – biltong, boerewors, koeksusters, traditional SA food products, SA magazines.
- A Taste of Africa – Based in Bowling Green, Kentucky, A Taste of Africa is an online shop offering a choice of South African favourites for those who long for the taste of SA.
- African Hut has a large online selection of South African foods and groceries and ships to anywhere in the United States.
- The Biltong Box – biltong, boerewors, droe wors and spices.
- Biltong USA – importer of SA food.
- Cape Dutch Bakery – Maryland, metropolitan DC. Mosbolletjies, koeksisters and other SA pastries, plus biltong, boerewors and selected imported SA groceries.
- Mario’s Finest – spices for a true South African “braai”.
- The South African Food Shop is located in Matthews, North Carolina. South African foods can be ordered on their Internet website for delivery throughout the USA.
- The South African Shop Atlanta imports and supplies primarily South African products to the USA market. Online orders are also available.
- The Biltong Boykie is based in Ontario and offers biltong for online purchase.
- Brenda’s Rooibos Store, based in Vancouver, is an online store that sells annique Rooibos teas and Annique skin care products.
- Can-Way International, located in Toronto, ships goods to anywhere in Canada. They stock a wide range of South African favourites, including, among others, biltong, chutneys, pickles and condiments. They also stock British products.
- Eat Sum More is a South African store located in Thornhill, just outside of Toronto. It caters to the needs and cravings of other ex-South Africans and offers online shopping too.
- Florence Meat Supplies includes South African specialties, such as biltong and boerewors, and other typically South African favourites, like koeksisters, melkterts and samoosas.
- Memories of Africa, located in Toronto, offers quality South African foods online and ships throughout Canada and the USA.
- Montego Organic Rooibos Tea, is based in Burlington, Ontario, and has an online shop, as well as a list of shops that sell the tea.
- Out of Africa Tradiing operates out of Richmond, British Colombia and supplies a wide variety of foot items, available through Internet order throughout Canada.
- SA Meat Shops provides a range of meat products, baked goods and grocery items that are uniquely South African.
- SA Sausages / Serengeti Trading – biltong, boerewors, droe wors, Rooibos tea and other SA products.
- Serengeti Trading imports Rooibos tea and other South African products and has outlets in Langley, Edmonton, Victoria, North Shore, Northern BC and Tri-Cities. Visit the main website for links to the individuals outlets. They also offer online purchasing.
- South African Connexion BBQ & Catering Co. is based in Quebec and presents catering that includes roasting meat on a spit along with other South African specialities.
UK AND IRELAND
- African Spot is an online store offering South African favourites throughout the UK.
- Biltong2U, an online shop boasts a wide array of authentic South African food products.
- Bizzi B’s is an online shop offering South African foods, as well as books, health & beauty products, household goods, and even spit braai equipment for rent!
- Blue Rock Biltong in Woking, offers prime beef biltong, Ostrich biltong, game biltong, Droewors, and pepper sticks through Internet order.
- Bob’s Biltong is located in Heywood, Greater Manchester. All sorts of South African foods are available in the shop and through their online shop.
- Bokke Foods is an online shop supplying South African food favourites.
- BuySAfrica is an online retailer of imported South African goods in Ireland. They deliver throughout the country and also put together beautiful hampers for all occasions.
- Hunter’s Biltong offers biltong, droewors, and boerwors through an online store.
- Kalahari Moon is in Bristol and stocks South African products, including a wide range of beverages, foods, and health and beauty products.
- Limpopo Butchers, an online store offers a wide variety of South African meat products, groceries and other South African-themed items, including clothing, braai goodies and more.
- No. 1 South African Shop is in Dorset and also offers online ordering of hard to resist South African foods.
- SANZA’s online shop delivers South African, Australian and New Zealand products throughout the UK.
- SA eSHOP – secure online orders, plus free delivery to all addresses in England, Wales and Southern Scotland for orders of more than £60.
- SA Wines Online supplies top quality wine throughout the UK from numerous South African wineries.
- Snoggy’s main store, The Butchery, is located in Putney, London. It features South African meat favourites, as well as SA beer, ciders, brandy and cane. There is also a Snoggy’s Kiosk at Wimbledon Station, while Max’s Foods in East Putney and Piccolo in Putney High Street also supply Snoggy’s products.
- St Marcus Fine South African Foods is an Internet-based store offering an amazing array of South African meat products, as well as meat for traditional recipes from many other countries.
- Susman’s Best Beef Biltong – SA meat, groceries, sweets, beverages, recipes, clothing, seeds & bulbs, African cards & more.
- Swig (Serious Wine Imbibers Group) – an independent mail order wine merchant, Swig is “the foremost specialist” for SA wines in the UK. “Tasting a great number of Cape wines over the last few months has been an arduous task, but somebody’s got to do it”, say the Swiggers, adding that the wines on their South Africa 2002 list “are wines that we personally recommend rather than wines we have merely read about”.
- Taste of South Africa is located Oxford and offers door to door delivery through their online order business of South African groceries.
- The African Corner, based in Wellington, Somerset, supplies South African food online, including snacks and food for kids.
- The Bok & Rose is in Dorset and has South African owners. They supply biltong and other South African favourites throughout the UK. The shop itself is in St Albans, London.
- The Savanna has six shops in London and plenty of South African fare available online.
- The South African Shop is the biggest importer of South African food in the UK. There are five shops in London and buying online is also available.
- Toft Shop caters to South African ex-pats in Cambridge with lots of recognisable home treats.
- ZAUK South African Shop is an online shop providing food, drink, and other South African favourites. It has no minimum order value and offers free delivery for goods over £100.
- African Heritage – South African products in Perth: boerewors, biltong, koeksisters, milk tarts, and SA staples such as ProNutro, Five Roses tea, Tennis biscuits, and much more.
- Africashop.com.au supplies South African food and booze throughout Australia.
- Biltong Spice is based in Brisbane, but operates exclusively on the Internet. They supply quality biltong, boerewors and droewors spices, as well as a a range of accessories, including biltong machines, biltong cutters and biltong hooks.
- Cape to Cairo, in Perth, is an importer, wholesaler and retailer of South Africa’s favourite delicacies.
- Kumusha is based in Brisbane and is an online store that delivers a wide range of South African products throughout Australia.
- Mufasa Biltong Deli is located in the Currambine Business Centre in Perth. They produce South African meat and baked goods, which are also available through online ordering.
- Protea Foods is in Cheltenham, Melbourne, Victoria. Their primary products are biltong and boerewors, but they supply other South African favourites too.
- SATOOZ – online Australian-owned business specialising in South African food and other essentials.
- South African Essentials is a family-run business in Perth and provides biltong, boerewors and other familiar South African foods.
- South African Wines, an online business, features a selection of over 70 premium wines and brandies.
- Springbok Delights has a butchery and grocery shop in Lane Cove, Sydney. They also have a factory in the city and supply numerous shops. Their online shop features alcohol, food products and beverages, meat products and more.
- Springbok Foods Australia in Perth, Western Australia, also offers online shopping and delivers throughout Australia, including personal delivery in South East Queensland.
- Tassie African is an online store based in Tasmania and delivers South African and Zimbabwean foods throughout Australia.
- The South African Shop in Templestowe and Caulfield, Melbourne, has traditional and Kosher South African foods which are also available through online ordering. The Caulfield shop includes the Shebeen Coffee Shop.
- The South African Shop Hobart is located inside Go Dive Hobart and stocks a range of products including biltong, dried wors, boerewors and rusks.
- Tuart Hill Liquor supplies over 50 South African wines, as well as SA beers and ciders. They’re based in North Beach Drive in Tuart Hill, Perth.
- Biltong.nu is the largest producer of South African meats in the Netherlands. All their products are manufactured to original South African recipes and can be ordered online.
- Boerewors.nl is an online provider of South African boerewors.
- Braai Supply Butchery and South African Food store in Vila do Conde supplies South African braai packs, meats, hampers and other groceries, including through online order elsewhere in Portugal.
- Die Spens, is situated next to the A1 in Amersfoort, easily reachable from all over The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. A wide variety of food and drink is available, also through the Internet.
- Jabula, is in Dublin, Ireland, and specialises in South African food and crafts. It also provides online purchasing.
- Robyn’s Corner, in Malta, is an online shop that offers a selection of South African foodstuffs and even has some favourite South African recipes to share.
- South African Goodies (Ger) – a wide range of South African products available at this online shop from Germany.
- South African Goodies (Ned), in The Netherlands, is an online supplier of South African foods and beverages.
- Abigails – South African food shop in Denmark.
- Slagteren ved Kultorvet – get your biltong or boerewors from this organic butcher in Denmark.
- Doringboom Vlakvark – SA Internet-winkel vir Duitsland en aangrensende Europese lande / SA online shop for Germany and neighbouring European countries.
- South African Rooibos Tea Supplies (Switzerland and surrounding countries)
- Zuid-Afrika Huis – (also in English) historiese gragtehuis in Amsterdam, huisves die Suid-Afrikaanse Instituut (SAI), opgerig om die studie van taal, kultuur en geskiedenis van SA te bevorder. Onderhou waarskynlik die grootste Afrikaanstalige biblioteek buite Afrika. Huisves ook die Nederlands Zuidafrikaanse Vereniging (NZAV), gestig om die kulturele betrekkinge tussen Nederland en SA te bevorder. Uitgewer van die Nederlandstalige maandblad Zuid-Afrika.
Reviewed: 23 May 2013
Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material