National Marine Month is under way in South Africa, and it is the perfect time to shine a spotlight on the country’s unique, geographic position. The ocean economy has the potential to alleviate poverty and create jobs. But how much do you really know about our seas?
South Africa’s ocean economy has the potential to help the country achieve its goal of poverty alleviation and job creation, as outlined in the National Development Plan. (Image: Media Club South Africa)
• Gallery: Celebrate Marine Month in South Africa
• Two oceans & biodiversity
• Plans to tap into South Africa’s oceans on track
• South Africa protects its oceans
• South Africa moves to unlock ‘blue economy’
Research and text: Priya Pitamber
Graphic: Sachin Baboo
Click on the image below for a larger view.