Various industry sectors have organised themselves into export councils to tackle the global marketplace as collective forces. Export councils are promoted and supported by the DTI as they help exporters develop strategies, and reach their target markets as well as meet their export targets.
The DTI provides financial support to many export councils, which are run by executives appointed by participating firms.
Industries with export councils include the automotive, electrotechnics, wire, stainless steel, aluminium, flower, wine, cosmetics, crafts, ceramics and textiles sectors.
The export council approach is specifically tailored to facilitate access to DTI support structures by small, medium and micro enterprises (SMMEs). The SMME Export Council acts as an entry point for first-time exporters; while the Arts and Crafts Export Council specifically supports rural community projects, helping artists and crafters gain access to international markets.
- See the DTI’s directory of South Africa’s export councils, industry associations and joint action groups.
The main details of the list are as follows:
- National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of SA: www.naamsa.co.za
- Built Environment Professions Export Council: www.bepec.co.za
- Capital Equipment Export Council: www.saceec.com
- Fresh Produce Exporters Forum/ Fruit South Africa: www.fpef.co.za
- SA Boatbuilders Export Council: www.sabbex.co.za
- SA Cosmetics Export Council: www.cecosa.co.za
- SA Electrotechnical Export Council: www.saeec.org.za
- SA Flower Industry Council: www.saflower.co.za
- SA Footwear & Leather Export Council: www.saflec.co.za
- SA International Steel Fabricators: www.isf.co.za
- Textile Industry Export Council: www.satiec.co.za
- SA Wire Business Council: www.sawa.co.za
- Wines of South Africa: www.wosa.co.za
- Steel Tube Export Council: www.astpm.co.za
- Aluminium Federation of SA: www.afsa.org.za
- Plastics Federation of SA: www.plasticsinfo.co.za
- SA Dairy Foundation: Tel +27 (0)12 348-5345
- SA Aerospace Maritime & Defence Industries Association: www.amd.org.za
- SA Iron & Steel Institute: www.saisi.co.za
- SA Print & Packaging Federation: www.pifsa.org
- Stainless Steel Business Council: www.sassda.co.za
Joint action groups
Reviewed: 6 August 2012
Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material