SA injects billions into job creation

23 February 2012

Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan has allocated an additional R10.2-billion to the state’s various job creation programmes, bringing their total allocation to R94-billion over the next three years.

Delivering his National Budget speech to Parliament in Cape Town on Wednesday, Gordhan said job creation was central to government policy.

The minister allocating an additional R4.8-billion to the state’s Expanded Public Works Programme, bringing its total allocation to R77.8-billion over the next three years.

The community work programme received an additional R3.5-billion, giving it a total of R6.2-billion over the next three years, which will increase the number of people it employs to 332 000 in 2014/15, up from 90 000 in March 2011.

“We will continue to increase allocations to this programme over time,” Gordhan said.

Working for Water, Working on Fire

The government’s Working for Water and Working on Fire programmes received an additional R1.1-billion, bringing their total three-year allocation to R7.7-billion, providing for a total of 135 000 jobs by 2014/15.

The non-state sector job creation programme received an additional R345-million, bringing its three-year total to R1.1-billion, while the National Rural Youth Service Corps received an additional R200-million, bringing its total to R900-million over the next three years.

An additional R300-million was added to the arts and culture budget for job creation.

Jobs Fund: R1-billion committed so far

Gordhan said the second application round for funding under the National Treasury’s Jobs Fund would be announced shortly.

The fund, which is administered by the Development Bank of South Africa, attracted 2 500 applications in its first call for proposals, and project allocations of R1-billion have so far been committed, he said.

Gordhan said the government’s proposed youth wage subsidy was under discussion at Nedlac, where labour had expressed some reservations.

Source: BuaNews