Acsa in major Brazilian airport deal

9 February 2012

The Airports Company South Africa (Acsa) is part of a consortium that has won a bid for the expansion, maintenance and operation of Guarulhos, Brazil’s busiest airport, located in greater Sao Paulo.

“[This] will enhance Acsa’s brand and better position it in the market place as a serious participant in global airport investment and management,” Acsa’s acting MD Bongani Maseko said in a statement.

“We managed to secure an opportunity in India a few years ago, we now have Brazil and are pursuing similar ventures in Africa.”

Acsa won 51% of the concession and Infraero, from Brazil, the remaining 49 percent.

Acsa said it would provide airport management through a technical service agreement.

Some of the tasks included preparing detailed operational plans for the 2013 Fifa Confederations Cup, the Pope’s visit for the World Youth Day in 2013, and the 2014 Fifa World Cup.

The concession is for a 20-year period.

“In addition to the investment return on capital contributions, Acsa will be paid airport management fees,” said Maseko.

“The next step is for the consortium partners to finalise the signing of the concession and other related agreements by May 2012.”

Transport Minister Sibusiso Ndebele’s office congratulated Acsa on the win.

“This is, indeed, exciting news for South Africa and our continent,” ministerial spokesman Logan Maistry said.