4 January 2012
There was a two percent increase in the number of travellers moving in and out of South Africa in December compared to the same period last year, the Department of Home Affairs said on Tuesday.
The department recorded 3.7-million travellers on its computer system in December, Home Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma said in a statement.
Of these, over 2.5-million were foreigners and 1.2-million were locals. These numbers include both arrivals and departures.
African, European, US visitors
The majority of visitors came from Southern African Development Community countries, but there was also steady inflow from the United Kingdom, the United States of America and Germany.
Most of the movement into and out of the country was through OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, Cape Town International Airport, the Beit Bridge border post between South Africa and Zimbabwe, the Lebombo border post into Mozambique, Ficksburg and Maseru Bridge into Lesotho, Oshoek and Golela into Swaziland, and Kopfontein and Ramatlabama into Botswana.
Dlamini-Zuma wished all travellers a safe journey.
“I am confident all travellers enjoyed the warmth, hospitality and ubuntu of our people as well as the diversity and magnificence of our flora and fauna.”
Western Cape tourism flourishes
The Western Cape’s Tourism Marketing Agency, meanwhile, said it has seen a rise in domestic tourism in the province.
The province’s tourism industry has flourished since the start of December.
Tourist attractions such as Table Mountain, the V&A Waterfront and Langebaan continue to be some of the most popular areas.
Cape Town Route Unlimited’s Calvyn Gilfellan said they are expecting an increase of between five and eight percent this year.
“There is definitely an increase. We have seen more numbers fuelled by the school holidays and international visitors. We will have an eight percent year-on-year growth for this particular part of the season,” he said.