Consumer help: other products & services


The National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications (NRCS) is the government body which administers and enforces technical regulations, including compulsory specifications. The NRCS also keeps a register of non-compliant electrical products and publishes consumer alerts.

The South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) is a statutory body responsible for the development of standards. While SABS certification is voluntary, if you have a problem with a SABS-approved product, you can complain directly to them.

If you wish to complain about unsafe goods, contact the NRCS or the South African Consumers Union, an independent consumer organisation.


The SA Institute of Auctioneers is a voluntary body that represents the auctioneeringn industry in South Africa. They will respond to and investigate complaints about their members. You can lodge a complaint via the website, or search the online members’ directory.


The Franchise Association of Southern Africa is a self- regulatory body which applies a code of ethics to the industry and acts against members who transgress the code.

Consumer, furniture and retail companies

Consumer Goods Council of South Africa, which includes the Furniture Traders Association and the SA Retail Council, represents more than 11 000 member companies in the retail, wholesale and manufacturing sectors.

The council has information on consumer rights and accepts complaints about its members.

Kitchens, bathrooms, cupboards

The Kitchen Specialists Association has advice for choosing a good company for kitchens, bathrooms and built-in cupboards. Help with complaints against members of the association. Complaints can be filed via the website.

Timeshare and holiday clubs

The Vocation Ownership Association of South Africa is an self- regulating industry body that will assist with complaints against timeshare agents who are members of the institute. Deals with timeshare, holiday clubs, fractional ownership and private residence clubs. Previously known as the Timeshare Association of South Africa.

Weights and measures

You can complain to the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications about weights and measurements, including those of canned goods, as well as volume and mass of consumables such as bread, wine, meat products, toilet paper, etc.

SAinfo reporter

Reviewed: 13 July 2012

Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material