- Yenza! – online guide to using the Internet for research and teaching in the humanities and social sciences.
- Science in Africa – Africa’s first online science magazine.
- SA HealthInfo – the South African Health Knowledge Network, a single entry point for quality-controlled, evidence-based health information and resources.
Archives, libraries, databases
- Need facts and figures for a school project or a thesis? Statistics SA offers services to scholars and researchers, including library and inquiry services.
- South African Data Archive – a broker between a range of data providers and the research community.
- Online research databases
- Access and search the National Archives online
- Contact any National Archives office (click “contact information” or “contact us electronically”)
- National Film, Video and Sound Archives
- Genealogical research
- National Library of South Africa: services
- University and technikon libraries
- Free State: Department of Library, Information and Technology Services
- Free State Library and Information Consortium
- Gauteng and Environs Library Consortium
- Western Cape Provincial Library Services
- WebPals – web access to the Western Cape Library System.
- Cape Library Collective
Science Councils. South Africa has eight statutory science councils, through which the government is able to commission research to support science and technology development in the interest of the country. Each has its own web site, offering a huge range of science-, technology- and industry-related information, archives, databases, services, products, funding and other facilities.
- Agricultural Research Council – promotes agriculture and related sectors through research, technology development and technology transfer.
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research – the largest scientific and technological research, development and implementation organisation in Africa.
- Council for Geosciences – provides geoscience information and services for the benefit of the people of South Africa.
- National Research Foundation – promotes research through funding, human resource development and the provision of research facilities, in order to facilitate knowledge creation, innovation and development in all areas of science and technology.
- Human Sciences Research Council – facilitates problem-solving and enhances decision-making through research excellence in the human sciences.
- Medical Research Council – improves South Africans’ health status and quality of life through relevant and excellent health research.
- Mintek – one of the world’s leading technology providers, specialising in mineral processing, extractive metallurgy and related fields.
- South African Bureau of Standards – responsible for the development and publication of standards for products and services.